The Planet Project
2023 PARTICIPATING SCHOOLS:
This sculpture project and school outreach art program is an engaging, interactive learning project developed to inspire creativity and expand young people’s awareness of science, nature, environment, and material usage. Each year we explore a new theme through which students use their research to create a collaborative sculpture(s) in class, then bring out to install at the Festival.
This year we delve into the “Year of Alabama Birding” for inspiration.
“CHIRP CHIRP | BIRDS of ALABAMA”
Utilize any choice of material(s), especially recyclables and natural materials, to create a
figurative or abstract, large-scale sculpture of an individual Alabama bird or a flock (more than 3) Alabama birds.
- Free standing
- Large-scale – entire sculpture not limited to, but no smaller than 30” x 24” x 24”
- Perched or situated in a natural setting or habitat
- In flight (maybe carrying something in its beak or talons)
- Kinetic, mechanical, or stationary
Presentation must be considered in the design stage. The sculpture should be able to stand alone or
include an appropriate substrate or base. MRF has only a few wood risers, no pedestals. Discuss with the Arts Ed. Coord. before October 10th if your class’s sculpture will need a riser or if you have other presentation concerns.
Cardboard, plastic bottles, cans, paper cartons, paper cups, bottle caps, wire coat hangers, wood,
packaging materials, paper bags, plastic bags, bubble wrap, plastic tablecloths, magazines, envelopes, coffee filters, tissue, paper, fabric, felt, sponge, cotton balls, push pins, clothes pins, pipe cleaners, twist-ties, yarn, etc.
METHODS & APPROACHES
- Assemblage with found objects and materials
- Mobile – Alexander Calder, but also: Lynn Chadwick, Marco Mahler, Ruth Asawa, Gego, George Rickey
- Large-scale Diorama
- Additive Construction with collected recyclables and/or natural materials
- 2D to 3D by mounting 2 drawings back-to-back on a wire, string, stick, etc.
- Papier Mache
- Wire Sculpture
ATTACHMENT & ADHESIVES
Wire, string, yarn, rope, zip ties, twist ties, bobby pins, magnets, glue, tape, Velcro, etc.